Child Safety Seat Checks/Education
According to Missouri Revised Statute 307.179, travelers with children ages 0 to 16 are required to ensure the following:
- Children less than four years of age, regardless of weight, shall be secured in a child passenger restraint system appropriate for that child;
- Children weighing less than forty pounds, regardless of age, shall be secured in a child passenger restraint system appropriate for that child;
- Children at least four years of age but less than eight years of age, who also weigh at least forty pounds but less than eighty pounds, and who are also less than four feet, nine inches tall, shall be secured in a child passenger restraint system or booster seat appropriate for that child;
- Children at least eighty pounds or children more than four feet, nine inches in height shall be secured by a vehicle safety belt or booster seat appropriate for that child;
- A child who otherwise would be required to be secured in a booster seat may be transported in the back seat of a motor vehicle while wearing only a lap belt in the back seat of the motor vehicle is not equipped with a combination lap and shoulder belt for booster seat installation.
Children under the age of four are properly secured in a five point harness safety seat that is appropriate for their height and weightChildren over four are properly restrained in a booster seat that is appropriate for their height and weight until the child reaches a weight greater than 80lbs, height greater than 4'9', or reaches the age of eight children and teens between the ages of eight and 16 are required by law to wear a seatbelt
Janice Carter, Sue Lober and Sheldon Lyon serve as the St. Joseph Safety and Health Council's Certified Child Passenger Safety Technicians, and provide inspections and installation assistance to parents, grandparents and guardians on how to properly install child safety seats. Appointments are required and can be made by contacting the Council at (816) 233-3330 or email Janice Carter or Sue Lober.